Friday, August 8, 2014

July 2014 Wrap-Up

And the end of another month. I'm wrote this whole post before the end of the month, because I knew I'd be leaving for LeakyCon, and then I read two more books and I didn't end up posting it - so now I'm going to half rewrite it or just edit it, we'll see how it works. I read a lot this month, more then I expected to, I finished 24 books this month.

I took part in two read-a-thons, one taking part kind of during the other, so at the bottom there are going to be a lot of links. I didn't have time to get back into a blogging thing after coming back from VidCon (which I tried to write a wrap-up of, but the wrap-up of that turned into an essay on - stuff. Anyway - maybe I'll do a post with pictures and such from both after LeakyCon and after I sleep for 2 days).

  • Never Stop Shutting Up by Mike Falzone
  • Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg
  • Girl with Guitar (Kylie Ryan #1) by Caisey Quinn
  • Losing It (Losing It #1) by Cora Carmack
  • Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
  • In The Shadows by Kiersten White, Jim Di Bartolo
  • Boxers (Boxers and Saints #1) by Gene Luen Yang
  • Saints (Boxers and Saints #2) by Gene Luen Yang
  • Severed Heads, Broken Hearts (aka: The Beginning of Everything) by Robyn Schneider 
  • The Scepter of the Ancients (Skulduggery Pleasant #1) by Derek Landy
  • Shadow and Bone (The Grisha Trilogy #1) by Leigh Bardugo
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha Trilogy #2) by Leigh Bardugo
  • Ruin and Rising (The Grisha Trilogy #3) by Leigh Bardugo
  • Zita the Spacegirl (Zita #1) by Ben Hatke
  • City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3) by Cassandra Clare
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita #2) by Ben Hatke
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita #3) by Ben Hatke
  • Playing with Fire (Skullduggery Pleasant #2) by Derek Landy
  • Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare
  • Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices #2) by Cassandra Clare
  • Clockwork Princess (Infernal Devices #3) by Cassandra Clare
  • City of Fallen Angels (TMI #4) by Cassandra Clare
  • City of Lost Souls (TMI #5) by Cassandra Clare
  • City of Heavenly Fire (TMI #6) by Cassandra Clare
Some of these books, were so fantastic. I really love the Skullduggery Pleasant series now - it's fun, hilarious, and their dialogue is just fantastic. I really enjoyed The Grisha Trilogy - I read it in about three days, I think, it's all a blur now. And I feel like I read it in a vacuum, not being part of the fandom at all because I didn't have time, and I am surprised at the thoughts from that fandom (though, I haven't watched any reviews, I'm just confused why everyone's in love with The Darkling, because guys - Nikolai).

Also - I enjoyed the Infernal Devices much more this time, I don't know why, but I connected with the characters so much this time, and now that's kind of all I want is more of them. Well Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Prince were both reread- but Clockwork Princess was all new and oh my god feelings, these books are so emotional and so good. Also City of Fallen Angels was a reread for me, as well, but the other two weren't.

I have a weird relationship with her books, and her as a person. First off - her books are like crack, and I don't know if that's a good thing. I fly through them and they're fun and emotional, but I am much more attached to the characters from ID them from The Mortal Instruments (TMI), and I don't think I'd have enjoyed them as much if I didn't read them in basically one sitting, just because I felt like that kept me in the world and I would of forgotten things if I'd stopped.

I'm planning on doing a series review for these books, and I'm working on the keeping the artist separate from the art, which I can do for Orson Scott Card and he's much worse, in my opinion, so we'll see ow this goes.

Overall - it was a fantastic month of reading and I read a lot of fantastic books and broke my last personal record for a week long read-a-thon. I'm not going to post all the links, because I feel like it'd be a tad too many - but I'm going to post a few. If there are any specific reviews of books you'd like to see, let me know, or if you want to talk about any of the books - comments, goodreads, twitter.

Fire and Flood review
Musing Mondays (4): Genre Reading Binges
Everything Leads to You review
BookTubeAThon Final Wrap-Up
treesofreverie readathon: update two

No comments:

Post a Comment