Monday, August 18, 2014

Book Haul (For the first half of August) (2)

I don't normally do book hauls, just because I buy books sporadically - sometimes a lot, sometimes nothing for a few weeks - so I just don't normally do it. But I've been wanted to share recently, what I've been getting, because I buy at a faster pace then I read - and I also have a giant, humongous backlog - so I don't know when I'll be able to read these books and I'd like to share my excitement for them with you.

I took a ton of pictures, so those will also be here, also, but I kind of just want to talk about them. Because I like talking about books - which is probably the most obvious statement someone can say on their own book blog. Anyway, these books are from a few places but mostly Amazon and Barnes and Noble. And there are a lot for about two weeks worth of buying, but I blame stress and Prime 2-day free shipping.




Mortal Danger by Ann Aguirre - I'm currently-reading this book, I started it as soon as it came in the mail. I'd pre-ordered it and forgotten, and then didn't realize it came out so soon. I'll have a review up a little after I finish it, which should be in the next few days (I'm really behind on reviews at the moment, but I'm going to push it in front).

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson - I've heard so many good things about this book and it's out, I can't wait to read it.

The Unbound by Victoria Schwab - I've still yet to even start this series, even though I've read and loved all her other books (all but that new middle grade series, I haven't seen it out anywhere).

The Boundless by Kenneth Oppel - I'm going to lie, this is a complete cover buy (I took a picture, it'll be included around here), but I did read the synopsis before I did and it sounds awesome.


Lola and the Boy Next Door & Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins - I just recently read Anna and had pre-ordered Isla and am now super excited to read both soon, really soon. Right now, if it was possible,

The Sea of Monsters: Graphic Novel - I'm going to give this a show, I read The Lightning Thief, and did like it, so I thought I should keep going.

All the Light we Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - I have heard such amazing, fantastic things since it came out not that long ago. And I was going to wait until it was in paperback and then just caved, and couldn't do it anymore. I want to read this one this month, but I don't know if I'll have time, I probably won't, sadly.

Child of a Hidden Sea by A. M. Dellamonica - This is the first in a new series. It's about this girl that is suddenly, like, on a ship in another world and there's some political thing going down, and I am kind of super excited. I haven't heard really anything about it, but it sounds just amazing.

The Young World by Chris Weitz - I'm unsure about this one. The cover is freaking gorgeous and most of the things I've heard/read have been leaning towards 'good' but I don't know, we'll see. It's a bit extremely overused, but maybe this is different?

Gils' All Fright Diner & Helen and Troy's Epic Road Quest by A. Lee Martinez - these books aren't a series, just by the same author, but I've been hearing good things about his books. They seem hilarious and weird, in the vein of Douglas Adams, and the covers are designed to kind of look ridiculous (well Helen and Troy's is just colorful and fun).

Dissonace by Erica O'Rourke - I won this on Goodreads (Yay!) and I kept seeing really good things from people I follow on GRs, actually, just completely loving it. I'm super excited about it, I'm hoping to get to it soon. As I am with most of these, so we'll see how that goes.

The River of No Return by Bee Ridgeway - This is an adult novel that's - SciFi/Historical. Someone described it as Doctor Who meets Jane Austen, so you can imagine I bought that ten seconds after reading it. There's time travel but it's someone from the past getting transported to our time period, which sounds fun. I've heard - pretty good things so far, so I'm excited (kind of wished I'd gotten the UK cover, though, because it's beautiful).

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella - I've been hearing her name a lot recently watching BookTube videos and apparently she's funny, so I thought I'd give it a try. That's kind of it - it sounds like a cute, contemporary.



The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - I don't know what made me buy this, I mean, I've put it in a cart or picked it up in a book store so many times, but I finally actually bought it. I don't know when I'll be reading it, I feel like I need to be in a specific mood for it - but hopefully soon.

Order of Darkness (Changling #1)  by Phillipa Gregory - I've been hearing amazing things for years and I saw this cover/series redesign and was relieved. Most of her covers are really bad, but these are simple and kind of lovely for it - I really like them, and can finally pick something of hers up without sighing at the cover art/photo.

The Executioner's Heart by George Mann - which is apparently the forth in a series, which I just found out when I was looking this up. Does anyone know if I can just read this one? I normally don't do that, even if I can, but it looks like it might be difficult to get the other books and that's more books to buy. Sigh. I normally check it, too, I just had a weird day, I guess (this is the same time I bought A Young World, too).

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman - I've been waiting for this book to come out in paperback, I don't know when it did, but I just found it on a table in Barnes and Noble and immediately picked it up. The first thing to draw me in, was the cover, but then I saw someone review it and heard the synopsis and their love for it - and wanted it more and more. I waited, though, for the paperback, and I'm hoping I like it.

And that's all the books I've bought since the beginning of August. What have you gotten recently? Have you read any of these books? Or are you considering buying them? Let's talk books!

1 comment:

  1. Holy moly you got a lot of books! Happy reading,a and congrats on the GR win! :)

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete