Thursday, September 4, 2014

2014: Book Reviews (10)

Another part of this lovely adventure, it's been an insane reading year for me and I never expected this series to go as far as it seems to be going. To look at past ones, full reviews, or all the books I've read this year - 2014 reading challenge post.

Maus Vol 1 + 2 by Art Spiegelman (both - 5/5)
I loved these two graphic novels. They felt very real and very raw, and I really liked the way he used the animals thing. It wasn't overdone and it wasn't jarring at any point.

Locke and Key: Vols 1, 2, + 3 by Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodriguez (all - 5/5)
These first three in the series were fantastic. I love the story and the characters, and the third is probably the one that's the darkest, but they're all pretty dark and intense. And I loved every minute and cannot wait to get my hands on more, highly recommended.

Once Dead, Twice Shy (Madison Avery #1) by Kim Harrison (4/5)
This was good, fun, and quick. And I have a full review here.

Elusive Memories (The Hunted #1) by Amanda Shofner (5/5)
Really liked this, it was interesting from the start and I really liked the characters. And am super looking forward to the next one!

What In God's Name by Simon Rich (5/5)
I don't know what I expected from this book, but it wasn't what I got. And what I got was amazing. It was ridiculous and amazing and I just really loved it to pieces. A fantastic, quick read that had me laughing out loud way too many times.

Watchmen by Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons (4/5)
This took me longer to read then I expected - I slogged through it at points, it could get a little overly wordy, but that isn't to say I didn't enjoy - I really did. I guess my expectations were a little high after everything I'd heard, but it was still good.

Coffin Hill, Vol 1 by Caitlin Kitteredge (4/5)
Super interesting and weird and bloody and weird - I weirdly really enjoyed it. A lot. If you haven't looked into it, you should.

Fruits Basket Vol 1 - 23 by Natsuki Takaya (5/5)
Yes - I read all 23 volumes of Fruits Basket in a ridiculous, and probably unhealthy, short amount of time (reread, actually). (I finished the first one on the 2nd of June, and the last one on the 6th). Obviously I really, really love this series. It's just - so good. The anime and the manga, I first watched and read it years ago and just - so good. It's silly, hilarious, fun, ridiculous, makes fun of itself - check it out.

Fire and Flood (Fire and Flood #1) by Victoria Scott (4/5)
I have a full review up Basically - really enjoyed, fast paced.

Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour (5/5)
I have a full review up. I adored this book, go and read it, it's gorgeous and breathtaking and just so freaking good.

Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony (3/5)
It was a cool concept and interesting - but I think it should of been longer, or that there needed to be more then just a few snippets of IMs between them, I didn't really care about the characters, didn't feel connected to them, and it made no real sense why it was in pictures, to me at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment