Monday, September 15, 2014

It's Monday! What are you reading? (Weekly wrap-up) (2)

It's Monday! What are you reading? is a meme that was created by BookJourney. I'm not sure I'll keep using this meme to do weekly wrap-ups, just because I feel like this is really suppose to be just reading themed - what do you think? Stay with it? Just call it a weekly wrap-up? Any ideas?

Anyway - onto the actual post where I'm going to talk about the past week and what I read, what I watched, and blog posts I've liked.

Reading: (finished this week, actively currently-reading)
I read quite a bit this week as the Tackle Your TBR read-a-thon started (official post, my announcement post, my updates (1)), and next week I'll be taking part in the treesofreverie read-a-thon again, while this one is still going on. Simultaneous read-a-thon shenanigans. Anyway - what I've read since last Sunday.

The Merciless by Danielle Vega (3/5 stars)
I liked this more then I expected. For some reason, I just didn't expect to like it. Even though the loved the whole design, even though pink isn't my favorite color, that didn't stop me from giggling when I saw everything on that cover. It's not really scary, at least I didn't find it, but it is a bit gore-y at points. Still - fun. And I enjoyed the ending.

Tinder by Sally Gardner (3/5)
I was really loving this at first - because it was strange and weird and quirky, and the art was awesome. But it dragged and dragged - maybe I shouldn't of read it in such a short period of time, I should of just put it down when I wanted to and got back to it later. But: read-a-thon. Also, there was a point where I just wanted to finish it. Don't get me wrong - I liked it, I enjoyed it, but it definitely dragged. I'd still recommend checking out if it sounds interesting to you.

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz #1) by Brandon Sanderson (5/5)
A Sanderson book so my brain wasn't so deep in Sanderson (I had a dream about Mistborns and that world the other night, it was so stressful and so freaking awesome, I want to do it again). Anyway - this book, right. This book was hilarious and witty and smart. It's technically middle grade, I think, but I've always kind of enjoyed middle grade, especially smart middle grade. It's Sanderson, it takes place in our world (I'm not going to say slightly altered, trust me, our world, you'll get it), and really you shouldn't need anymore convince to read his books.

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson #1) by Rick Riordan (5/5)
This was a reread for me, and the third or so time I've read this book. I have this hope to reread this whole series and the Heroes of Olympus series before the final one comes out October 7th. Considering how easy and quick these books are and how much I love them - it shouldn't be hard. And, yes, I do love these books. They're good middle grade: Greek gods, heroes, best friends, quests - who doesn't like all those things? Especially quests! And Greek gods! Highly recommended - I might do a full series review after I reread them.

Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson #2) by Rick Riordan (5/5)
This book feels so weirdly short for all the things that go down - loving this reread.

Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson #3) by Rick Riordan (5/5)
The reread continues! I'd forgotten about Zoe, I do like her. And, for some reason, I remember completely adoring Nico. I mean, I still do, but it's not like he's there a lot, or does much.

Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson #4) by Rick Riordan (5/5)
This one has some fantastic scenes, I mean they all have scenes I just really love, and I think Titan's Curse is my favorite for that - but still.

I'm also currently reading The Last Olympian and will definitely finish it Monday, unless something goes wrong. I'm not really actively reading anything else, though I'd eyeing too many books to read next.

What I've Been Watching:
I'm still trying to catch up on Scandal, but with read-a-thoning, it's a little slow going and I don't want it to end (I really like Mellie. Which might seem like a strange character, and she's not my favorite, but she's been through a lot of shit and I just kind of love her? I'm not even sorry). Anyway - besides Scandal...

I've mostly been watching Sponser Cut videos from RoosterTeeth (mostly gaming, but they're also just kind of a hilarious group of people, I'd highly suggest checking them out if you like games at all or humor - mostly stupid humor, but still).

Talkin' New Comic Releases with Amy Dallen - Amy is a Geek and Sundry vlogger (this is on that channel) and I thought this video was super interesting. She owns/runs (I think she owns it, now I'm not sure) a comic book store. And this video she talks about just how many new things come out every week and she highlights just a small amount of the weeks releases.

My First Book Haul - my friend Jenny (MagicCatJenny) has started into the world of BookTube. You should check her out and tell her how she did for her first book haul, send her some love and such. She's awesome and she also blogs here. She blogs about crafts, cosplay, traveling, and much more!

PeruseProject's Ask Regan video - she might be my favorite BookTuber I've been watching pretty much since I really started getting into the YouTube side of things. And it's mostly because I feel like we have similar tastes in book - read kind of everything, but with a specific love for fantasy. So you should check her out.

Spectacular September Book Haul [28 books], Lindsey Rey - I mentioned her last week also, because I found her last week. And I am still really enjoying her videos and this is an epic book haul! I don't care what anyone says, I love book hauls (obviously. And I think they're a way to learn people's tastes and such, and it's just fun. Though it does add books to my never ending TBR pile). So many books.

And, a video very close to my heart and that almost made me cry: Happy Esther Day! - it's a video of midnight at LeakyCon (we're not talking about the rebranding here yet, LeakyCon). (If you don't know what Esther Day is, it's explained in the video).

Blog Posts I've Liked:
I really like BlogLovin' - I mean I still haven't found something as good as what Google Reader use to be, but I really like BlogLovin'. And it makes liking posts so I can remember about them really easy (I also end up emailing myself a lot, when I'm on my phone). Anyway - onto some blog posts.

The Perpetual Page Turner, Jamie, put up two posts recently I really enjoyed. A kind of book talk style post inspired/about Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer, which was really interesting and I loved it. And she links to another post of hers, at the very beginning, about hanging up her book reviewer hat. And I thought it was interesting. I don't review a lot of the books I read, probably a small amount of them actually, but normally because I either have too little to say or because I just want to spew all my feelings about it. Maybe I'll start seeing if I can figure out a discussion post format. Mmh...

I also found a really helpful looking post with a ton of resources for Book Bloggers - old, new, wanting to start out.

Also a post about: How do you read ALL the blogs? Which - is interesting, because I've been really trying this year to keep up with the community and the blogs I follow. And holy hell is it hard, especially since they're not all in the same place. How do you do it?

On The Blog:
Monday Musings (5): Read-A-Thons
September Read-A-Thons Update Post (Tackle Your TBR) (1)
2014: Book Reviews (11)
Book Review: Helen and Troy's Epic Road Quest

No comments:

Post a Comment