Wednesday, September 10, 2014

2014: Book Reviews (11)

Part eleven - I'm still behind, I was almost caught up and then I didn't post 10 or write this and fell way, way behind again. Maybe I can catch up this month... (wishful thinking never actually hurt anyone, right?) Anyway - this is a series I do where I write a few sentences, or even less, about every book I've read this month (or, if I put up a full review, I link to that with a few words). I don't review everything I read, I only fully review a few things, so I wanted to start doing this somehow.

The Inventor's Secret (The Inventor's Secret #1) by Andrea Cremer (4/5)
I really enjoyed this book. I've tried about five times to write a full review of this one, but I can only ever write a few lines. This book is just a ton of fun - it's very light, I rolled my eyes a time or two, but I also just kind of really loved it,  even though it was slightly cheesy or whatever at points. I'm a sucker for the steampunk/alt history thing, I guess.

The Fear Trials (The Murder Complex #0.5) by Lindsey Cummings (3/5)
This is a prequel novella to The Murder Complex and - I guess I kind of expected more. And I don't know what I mean by more, but this novella felt like it was missing something and I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped. I still haven't read The Murder Complex - we'll see.

Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus by P.C. Martin (3/5)
This was a reward for a Kickstarter that I got in the mail years ago, it's been a while, but I finally got around to reading it. It was a lot of fun and very reminiscent of a classic Sherlock Holmes story without feeling like it was outright coping it. And it has illustrations, it's steampunk, Mycroft is a women - I mean it's a bit awesome.

Sea of Shadow (Age of Legends #1) by Kelly Armstrong (5/5)
I wrote up a full review here - but, to sum it up, I really enjoyed this book: the plot, the characters, the writing. I'm excited to be able to pick up more of Kelly's books, and for the rest of this series.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (5/5)
This is the second time I've reread this book. Obviously I completely adore this book - all of the gaming stuff makes me happy and the '80's references are plentiful, awesome, and a tad ridiculous. The characters, the world, the plot - I mean, can I live in the OASIS? Check it out, if you haven't!

Burn for Burn (Burn for Burn #1) by Siobhan Vivan, Jenny Han (3/5)
I had - some problems with this book. I haven't reviewed it because most of my problems would be considered "spoiler," but theres one scene that I had a lot of problems with how one of the girls reacted - as in she kind of barely did? It was mostly just - light, fun, but the more I think about it, the more problems I find. I'm going to continue on to, at least, book two (because I got it for $2), and I guess we'll see from there.

Open Road Summer by Emery Lord (5/5)
I have a full review here! Basically, though, this book is fantastic. It's light and fun but not just light and fun. And it focuses a lot on the two girls, who are best friends, and their friendship - maybe even slightly more then the love interest, though that is obviously a major thing as well. I just haven't read a lot of contemporary where the girls friendships are valued as so important, which annoys me because they are.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn, David Levithan (3/5)
It was - fun, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought as I've loved all of David's book, haven't read anything of Rachel's besides this. I guess I expected more and, while this was mostly entertaining, I skimmed some because I just didn't care - about the characters or what would happen next.

Rock On by Denise Vega (4/5)
This was - a little eye roll inducing, but mostly kind of just a lot of fun and cute. I'd recommend it to people who like contemporaries about bands, high school bands, and brothers. (Also - the whole rockstar syndrome thing made me laugh, mostly because of the how true it is).

This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith (4/5)
Okay - so this book was a little ridiculous, but it was so much fun that I didn't care. I'm a huge sucker for the normal person dating a famous person troupe (but I always want to see more that they don't show - though this one showed more then I expected). I'd recommend this, if one keeps in mind that it's a little ridiculous, but a ton of fun and perfect for summer.

And there we go - ten more books down. Have you read any of these books? What did you think? What's your favorite book you've read so far this week/month?

No comments:

Post a Comment