Sunday, September 7, 2014

Read-a-thon and a Read-a-Long (R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril IX & The Raven Cycle ReadALong)

So these are two very different things - well, I guess not really, but whatever. R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril IX is a read-a-thon run by Carl over at Stainless Steel Droppings and runs from September 1st to October 31st, and is all about reading books that are horror, suspense, thriller, mystery, dark fantasy, gothic, ect. And I really love that idea, I haven't been reading enough of any of those genres, considering my early teen years.
Can we also just talk about how gorgeous this is?

Honestly, I'm not sure if I should be calling this a "read-a-thon" it seems to be more like a nice stroll (through a dark forest at midnight), but it's more relaxed, it seems.

Quoting from Carl's kick-off post:
As time has wound on I’ve honed this event down to two simple rules:
1. Have fun reading (and watching).
2. Share that fun with others.
And I feel like that is a perfect idea. You can also pick a peril, meaning what you'd like to read/watch for this relaxed read-a-thon. Peril the First is to read four books that one feels fits R.I.P literature. And there are others like that - but also ones related to short stories or TV/movies.

There's also a group read going on (of The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. I don't think I'm going to participate in this, though I have the book, I'm such a mood reader that it's hard to say for certain, but I also really enjoy being a mood reader.

And for which Peril I'm going to aim for - probably the Second or Third, just because I don't want to push myself to read things I don't want to read or whatever. Also I will definitely be watching scary movies as soon as we hit October, because they're all over TV and it's fantastic. (I'm technically a few days late for this - but it's a long, pretty relaxed one).


The Raven Cycle (re)Readathon - a readathon about The Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater, reading it for the first time or rereading it with a group. I'll be reading them for the first time (and am actually behind as I haven't started yet! But I'll probably binge read them in one sitting). I've been really looking forward to getting to these books and I'm annoyed at myself that I haven't yet, and I thought the third one was the last one, but I think it's going to be a four book series.

Anyway - rambling. It's being run by two bloggers: Books of Amber & Readers in Wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment