Monday, September 8, 2014

Musing Mondays (5): Read-A-Thons

A meme hosted by MizB at Should be Reading. Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week:

• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!

You've probably noticed, if you've seen my blog at all before this post, that I really like read-a-thons. It's probably unhealthy how much I like read-a-thons, if I'm being honest, but I can't stop - if there is a read-a-thon, I must do it, I have some weird, unhealthy addiction. I mean, I need breaks in between them to recharge and do other things, but when there is a read-a-thon - I will devote as much time to it as is humanly possible for me. 

I have two main favorites, as far as ones that happen more then once a year: Bout of Books and Dewey's 24 hour Read-A-Thon.

Bout of Books takes place three times a year: January, May, August - it's a weeklong read-a-thon that a ton of people take part in. There are so many people and it's a ridiculous amount of fun with the twitter chats and challenges and reading people's updates everyday and commenting. It's probably my favorite.

Dewey's 24 hours read-a-thon takes place twice a year and runs for 24 hours. So it's quick and a ton of fun and super stressful. I tend to have a lot of fun with something like this - high stress, high goals, limited time. (See: NaNoWriMo overachieving, I hit 300k last November). Dewey's takes place in April and October (this Octobers is October 18th!)

I've taken part in a lot of other read-a-thons, though. Some seem to be one time things, some it's their second or more year, and some happen more frequently. People decide to do a read-a-thon the day before. Maybe I should start my own... No - that's a ton of work. 

So far this year, I've taken part in seven read-a-thons: Bout of Books 9 (January), Dewey's 24 hour (April), Bout of Books 10 (May), BookTubeAThon (July), treesofreverie (July), Bout of Books 11 (August), Beat the Heat (August).

What read-a-thons have you taken part in? Do you have a favorite? Or are they not your thing (tell me why!)?

Most recent read-a-thon (final updates)

No comments:

Post a Comment