Monday, July 14, 2014

Musing Mondays (4): Genre Reading Binges

A meme hosted by MizB at Should be Reading. Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week:

• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!


This past year I feel like I've ended up binge reading a lot of genres. I've never done it before, at least consciously or in a way I've noticed. I've read a few books in a genre in a row or whatever, but this is different. 

So let me just list my recent binge reading, that has happened:

  • My first really big genre binge, I believe, would be reading the first ten volumes of the Attack on Titan manga in January. 
  • In April - I ended up on a Science Fiction binge because of The War of the Worlds and a non-fiction book called Paradox, which kind of turned into a space opera binge, even though I'd never really read much before. 
  • Beginning of June, about the first two weeks almost - I read two graphic novels, before binge reading the entire Fruits Basket series in a reread I've been wanting to do for a while. 23 volumes.
  • Most recently, also in June, I fell into a contemporary rabbit hole. This is particularly weird because normally I don't read contemporary, it's a certain mood for me and it's very rare, but I read fourteen books in ten days (a few of which weren't contemporary, but most of them were). It started on June 14th with Everything Leads to You by Nina Lacour, and ended on the 21st, mostly because of packing to go to VidCon.
I've noticed a kind of theme - it ends up being genres that I don't read a lot of. Well, I've read a bit of manga in my time, but considering how much of it there is, it feels like almost nothing. But with the Space Opera and the Contemporary - the genered fiction, it was rare I read it, but I owned some and knew the ones that'd peaked my interest or had gotten great reviews over the years.

It was like since I hadn't read much - there was all of this that I knew I was going to read and could read through easily. Of course, there's a ton of books in fantasy or another genre that I own and know I'm going to love, but it feels different for some reason. It's like the genre tropes are new to me and so everything feels new and shiny and fun.

This is a new thing for me, a just this year thing for me. But I'm curious if any of you have done this. On purpose or not on purpose. I did mean to marathon Fruits Basket, as I'd finally collected all the volumes, but the others just kind of - happened by accident.

Questions for you to answer in the comments, if you wish: does this sound familiar to you? Do you like binge reading - whether it be genres in general or just series? And then - what genre have you read the least in / gotten the least into? Am I just crazy? (Mmh, I might end up doing a separate post on binge reading, I know there's been talk about it).

No comments:

Post a Comment